22nd – Nov. 2nd
Scarecrows on Russell Street Contest
Click for Event Details
The Contest is open to businesses, clubs, organizations, individuals and families. There is no entry fee.
Judges will choose first, second, and third place. The general public will be voting on People’s Choice.
NEW THIS YEAR, the best PINK IT OUT category.
1. This is a family-friendly event. Scarecrows can be humorous, lovable, whimsical, but not frightening or
distasteful. Downtown Orangeburg Revitalization Association (DORA) has the right to reject any and all
scarecrows that they deem offensive or inappropriate.
2. Scarecrows will be mounted to a lamp post along Russell Street, and locations will be assigned at
registration on a first-come, first-served basis.
3. Installations will take place beginning Monday, October 22nd and must be completed by Wednesday,
4. Materials must be firmly attached to the scarecrow so displays can withstand the sun, wind, and rain.
Scarecrows must be secured by zip ties or string. (NO metal or wire allowed on any Downtown fixture.)
5. Please remember your display will be unattended. DORA is not responsible for any items that are stolen,
lost, or damaged. YOU assume responsibility for your entire display.
6. All entries will be given a weather proof sign that must be displayed at all times.
7. All entry pictures will be posted on the DORA Facebook Page to help with voting.
8. Voting: Anyone can vote! Vote in participating businesses and during Taste of Orangeburg on Sunday,
October 28th. Participating businesses/locations will be posted on Facebook and the DORA website.
9. Winners will be announced on Wednesday, October 31st, 2018.
10. STRICT RULE: All entries will be removed by Monday, November 5th, 2018. Entries not removed by this
date will be taken down and fully disposed.
11. You are required to check on your scarecrow periodically to make sure it remains in presentable
condition. DORA is not responsible for upkeep of any display.
12:00 noon – 3:00 pm
Taste of Orangeburg
Click for Event Details
This is an annual event for DORA, taking place on October 28 12:00 noon – 3:00 pm on the square. Attendees will buy tickets that will allow them to sample different “tastes” from multiple participating restaurants around the Orangeburg area.
Messiah by Claflin University
DORA will host the annual performance of the Messiah, which will be held at the Stevenson Auditorium.